Thursday, October 19, 2006

Survivor: Cook Islands Episode 6 Thoughts

Whoo-hoo! The champagne has been broken out here at the 'Muse. The streak is broken! I have successfully picked a bootee! And this time it's a two for two week! Cause for celebration indeed.

Okay, this wasn't exactly a difficult week to choose. Now next week, that could be a bit more difficult. But we'll get to that later.

First, I need to give Cao Boi a lot of credit. I certainly wasn't expecting that brilliant of a plan from him. He was right to try to smoke out the immunity idol, especially since he felt it was in the hands of Jonathan, who was a rival of his. The problem is, he was wrong in his thought that Jonathan had the idol. Instead, he was making a deal with the owner of the idol in Yul, and that might have cost him.

Ultimately, Yul had to look at Cao Boi's plan and say "Once Jonathan and Candice use the immunity idol, the target is going to turn to me. And that isn't good." So his options were to hang with Cao Boi and basically reveal that he has the immunity idol, or to stick with his initial alliance and get rid of Cao Boi, who could be perceived as being weak during the tribe immunity challenges. I can only hope that Cao Boi was given a replica immunity idol though.

So after Aitu voted out Cao Boi, they got to sit in the jury seats that most of them will get to know so very well, and enjoy a feast of lamb while the Blue tribe fougth and gave up their secrets.

The schadenfreude was very strong in this episode. You had Adam's smirk when he heard that the reward challenge would be a physical one. This of course turned into a huge victory for Aitu, with Candace and Sundra dominating Parvati and Rebecca, and Ozzy holding his own against Adam and Brad. And Cristina gets the boot, leaving only Ozzy as the remaining member of the Hispanic tribe that threw a challenge to get an advantage.

The thing is, I don't think Cristina should have gone. Don't get me wrong, it's not a shot at the Blue tribe voting her out per se. It was pretty obvious that this is where things were headed. But Aitu messed up. They got to hear how much Cristina was disliked, and how she was told she was annoying. And when they were given an opportunity to take somebody from the Blue tribe and "kidnap" them to make them immune from the vote, they chose Nate instead of the obvious Cristina. Taking Cristina would have thrown the Blue tribe into a bit of disarray, with no real discussion of a backup plan. Jenny probably gets the boot in this situation, but we have no proof of this (beyond Brad's odd vote for Jenny).

In fairness to Aitu, they might have taken Nate because he was singing like a bird at tribal council, and they were hoping he would continue to do so. And Cristina is probably a stronger physical player than the other women in her tribe. In their shoes though, I would have went with the screwing them over plan.

So who goes next week? Well, I'm going with my gut here, but Flicka seems right here. She starts a fight with her tribe in front of Nate, and she is truly on the outside looking in. I hope I'm right - I wouldn't want to break my streak.

(A final note, in response to Jeff Probst. First, I want to thank you for being the most famous commenter on this blog. If only Batman himself would make an appearance then my bloggin experience would be complete. But to address your "rumour", as you well know, I am not allowed to compete in Survivor because I am a Canadian. So there is no truth to the rumour.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home