Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Glausing over the facts

(I really need some help with writing headlines)

So Troy Glaus is a Blue Jay. He's definitely an improvement for the offense, but did he cost too much?

On the surface, Glaus and prospect Sergio Santos seems like more than a fair return for Orlando Hudson and Miguel Batista. Hudson was nothing special with the bat, and Batista was one of the more frustrating closers in baseball. And to be honest, I'm not upset to see Batista go. He seems unable or unwilling to drop some of his 10 different pitches to become a better pitcher. But the O-Dawg? He's going to be missed.

What doesn't get really captured by the statistics is how good Orlando Hudson is with the glove. You could argue that he is the best defensive second baseman in all of baseball, and not be completely off the wall. And with the Jays' pitching staff set up to be a groundball staff, they can use all of the help they can get. But they have downgraded their defense at second and third to improve their offense.

What's that you say? Third as well? I didn't mention it before, but Glaus has been all but promised the third base job, even though Corey Koskie is the better defender. (And I haven't even gotten into the comedy that is Eric Hinske in the outfield.) I don't know if I like this strategy - I know that I would have much rather the Jays pick up a bat that plays the outfield, where the corners are easily upgraded.

I will give the Jays this: Glaus is a lot younger than anybody thinks (he's only 29), and if he remains healthy, he's likely to be a very effective bat over the remaining years of the contract. And if they can turn Hinske or Koskie (or Hillenbrand if they should ever decide to trade him) into something positive, then all will not have been lost. Oh, and the re-acquisition of John McDonald (the Minister of Defense) is great.

Now, where do I get my 2006 tickets?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home